Improving your home ahead of Christmas Day
In the approach to Christmas your house preparations will be well underway. The tree is most likely up, your outdoor lights are programmed to turn on for a few hours each evening and the dog is wearing his brand new ‘mummy’s little elf’ jumper with more panache than Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen in his heyday.
If you’re hosting on Christmas day, you’ll know that the list of jobs to do is endless. Aside from decorating the house (and dog), food needs preparing and the house needs a tidy up before aunties, uncles, grandparents and friends pile in for your speciality feast. So if you’re limited on time but want the house in tip-top condition before the celebrations truly begin, follow our handy tips on how to hide your home’s ‘ugly bits’!
Follow these handy tips...
1. Store ugly cords and random knickknacks in decorative storage boxes.
We love these neutral and timeless boxes – perfect for stashing away the bits and bobs you can’t find homes for!
2. Use fabric banners to hide scuffs and marks on walls.
This is a cheap cover up and super quick!
3. Paint over ugly floor tiles.
Bored of your old kitchen or bathroom floor tiles? Replacing them is easier than you think!
4. Hide cables and wires by hooking them up and out of the way.
This trick is simple but the effect really makes a difference.
5. Use dispensers for soaps and beauty products to keep your bathroom looking chic.
Removing branded containers really makes a difference.
6. Spray old chairs to give them a new lease of life.
Cheaper than buying anything new!
7. Give old pans in need of a decent clean a new lease of life.
Try this amazing trick to save yourself having to buy new trays for Christmas day - watch the video here
8. Create a quick and easy drinks dispenser.
To do this use a Styrofoam chest and that old picnic hamper you’ve not used in a while!
9. Transform old black appliances with just a few materials and a bit of know-how.
10. No time to sort radiator covers but want a simple and effective makeover?
Add a shelf. It works!
11. Peeling wallpaper?
Apply a thin layer of wallpaper paste to the underside of the pealing paper and smooth away bubbles with a roller. A comprehensive guide can be found here
12. Stains in your bathtub?
Mix cream of tartar, baking soda and lemon juice in equal quantities and stir into a paste. Using gloves, rub the solution into the stain – let it sit for 30 minutes then rinse away with water!
13. Sofa cushions lacking volume?
Stick them in the tumble dryer with a tennis ball. They should puff up in no time.
14. Replace your dog’s smelly old bed in a few simple steps.
With just a jumper, pillow filling, a needle and thread this bed is quick, easy and looks festive too!
15. Don't throw out used up candles!
If you’ve got lots of old candles lying around the house there are some great and easy ways to repurpose them. Try this method
to create cute, wintery tea light holders.
16. Stained grout in your kitchen or bathroom?
It’s so easy to get rid of you’ll wish you’d known this trick
17. Light it up!
Turn old wine (or spirits!) bottles waiting to be recycled into cute and festive lamps.
18. Keep your hallway debris free.
If you’re worried about tens of pairs of shoes littering your hallway, create some shoe storage buckets. You can have one each for kids, aunties, uncles or grandparents – or have a bucket per family!
19. The easiest fridge make over EVER.
If the fridge is scratched and looking a little worse for wear, fridge decals are a quick and easy way to revamp them without forking out for a brand new one.
20. Worried about getting your washing dry with so many people in the house?
Follow these simple tricks
to ensure your garments are dry and ready to be hung up.
Hosting lunch on Christmas day can be daunting but with plenty of preparation and help from the family, you'll be ready to welcome the family into your home in no time. Wishing everyone a merry Christmas and happy New Year!
Discover more home improvement
articles on Safestore’s blog
where you’ll find a range of topics; from renovation tips to space saving ideas and more. Or, if you require storage to free up space we have a variety of self storage facilities located in over 100 locations – find your nearest store
for a quote today.