As always the experts can’t agree on what this winter holds for us; some say it will be different than last year (which doesn’t really give us an indication of what it’s going to be like) and some of the big tabloids, as always, are predicting the worst snow storms ever.
Either way, winter is not the best time of year for many living in the UK. The short days, lack of sunlight and wet, grey, dreary days can affect our moods. Being at the mercy of public transport struggling with the ‘wrong type of leaves or snow’ and the dashed hopes of children wishing for a snow day makes British winter-time so disappointing when all we get is rain. It’s enough to make us want to go into hibernation until spring!
However there are still some positives about winter. We can put the fire on, curl up on the sofa and watch endless episodes of our favourite shows on Netflix. Wrapping up warm on a cold crisp day and going for a walk followed by a Sunday Roast at a local pub makes for the perfect wintry weekend. There are also tonnes of special days during the winter to look forward to; Guy Fawkes, Halloween, Diwali, Christmas or Hogmanay.
What is your favourite thing about winter?
Write us a poem and tell us. There is no minimum or maximum length or a particular form of poem, it can be any type of poem (e.g. Limerick, Haiku, Acrostic or Free Verse) it can have any tone; serious, humorous, sentimental, light-hearted or whimsical. Let your imagination and creativity run wild.
Enter for a chance to win one of three £30 e-Gift vouchers for Paperchase. There are 3 different age groups:
- 11 and under
- 12-17 years
- 18+ years
- The Poetry Writing Competition is open to ‘All Ages’
- There will be one winner in each age group
- There is no fee to enter
- UK Residents Only
- Competition Closes Midnight on the 15th of January 2017
- No minimum or maximum length
- You can enter as many times as you like
- The poetry must be an original poem, one you have written yourself and not one that has been published before or part of another collection
- By submitting a poem you’re agreeing for us to reproduce or share your stories on our Social Media Platforms.
- The marketing team at Safestore will choose the winner.
- The winner will be informed via email.
How to enter
- mail your poem to email@example.com preferably in word format with the subject ‘Winter Wonderland Writing Competition’ and which age category you are entering.
- If you have a blog and you’d rather publish it on to your own site you’re more than welcome to, just email us the URL.
Good luck, have fun and we look forward to reading all of the entries.