UK’s largest self storage group with 134 stores
Safestore has 109 self storage centres in the UK including two business centres and a further 25 stores in the Paris region.
Safestore was founded in the UK in 1998. It acquired the French business “Une Pièce en Plus” in 2004 which was founded in 1998 by the current Safestore Group CEO Frederic Vecchioli.
- December: The Safestore Group has a total of 134 self storage centres. 109 in the UK and 25 in the Paris region.
- November: A new store in Chiswick opens.
- October: Une Piéce En Plus opens a new store in Emerainville.
- September: A new store in Altrincham and a relocated store in Birmingham opens.
- August: A newly built store opens at the existing Wandsworth location.
- July: Safestore confirms the acquisition of Space Maker adding 12 stores to the UK operation.
- Safestore has nearly 100 stores in the UK including two business centres trading under the Safestore name and a further 24 stores in Paris trading as Une Pièce en Plus.
- In October Safestore was promoted from the reserve list into the full FTSE 250 index.
- In January, Richard Grainger retired from the Board of Safestore and Alan Lewis was formally appointed Non-executive Chairman of the Company.
- In September, Frederic Vecchioli, the President of our successful Une Pièce en Plus business in France, was appointed as Chief Executive.
- In May, Andy Jones was appointed as Chief Financial Officer.
- Safestore opens two new stores in the UK and two more in Paris.
- Peter Gowers appointed Chief Executive Officer upon the retirement of Steve Williams. Frederic Vecchioli appointed to the main Board.
- Safestore aired its first TV ad campaign this year. More than one million people viewed the ad on YouTube – view the ad here.
- Signed a six year Management Contract for Space Maker Self Storage
- Safestore has more than 90 stores in the UK including 3 business centres trading under the Safestore name and a further 22 stores in Paris trading as Une Pièce en Plus.
- Safestore continues to grow through new store openings and has many more at various stages of planning due to open soon.
- John von Spreckelsen leaves Safestore and Richard Grainger is appointed as Non-executive Chairman.
- In March, Safestore successfully listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange. The offer price was set at £2.40 per ordinary share implying a market capitalisation of approximately £449 million and an enterprise value of £661 million.
- Safestore acquired Selfstore adding three stores to the group portfolio in the North West.
- Safestore invested significant capital into the Spaces stores to improve the facilities offered and re-branding to create a national company under the Safestore brand.
- Safestore acquired Storage World with two stores in Greater Manchester.
- Safestore acquired 17 stores from Access France and disposed of seven of the non-core stores, adding 10 stores to Une Pièce en Plus, the Group’s French subsidiary. These were all re-branded Une Pièce en Plus.
- Safestore acquired Mentmore plc who were trading under the ‘Spaces’ brand for £209 million.
- The acquisition added 31 freehold/long leasehold and 16 short leasehold stores, under the ‘Spaces’ brand and seven sites in France under the ‘Une Pièce en Plus’ brand. This created a chain of 79 stores and made Safestore the No.1 self storage provider in the UK and second largest in Europe.
- John von Spreckelsen joins the Board as Non-executive Chairman.
- De-listed from AIM after £39.8 million Management Buyout led by Steve Williams and supported by Bridgepoint.
- Steve Williams appointed as Chief Executive.
- Richard Hodsden appointed as Chief Financial Officer.
- Steve Williams joins as Chief Operating Officer.
- Soros Real Estate partners make a £14.2 million subscription.
- Prestbury Group make a £10 million subscription.
- Safestore begins trading with the purchase of 3 freehold properties in London.
- Safestore floats on AIM (Alternative Investment Market).
- Safestore acquires Metrostore.