Insurance Cover Information Document & Declaration
This Insurance Cover Information Document & Declaration is a legal contract. Please read it thoroughly to ensure it meets your requirements. If it does not, please advise Your Store Manager immediately. The Clauses below include a summary of the Insurance cover provided.
1. Precondition for Cover
This is a summary of the cover held by Safestore Limited. You will only be able to claim against our policy if prior to placing your Property into storage you have confirmed that cover is required by signing part 1 of this contract, ensuring you have provided an accurate Declared Value and paid or agreed to pay the relevant charges.
2. Duration of Cover
Your property is covered from the time it is placed in the self storage unit until the time it is finally removed from storage subject to receipt from you of all insurance administration fees due. This cover will only pay for loss or damage discovered during the period of Safestore’s insurance policy with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc.
3. Insured Perils
The following perils apply whilst your goods are secured in the room that you are renting from us:
Fire, lightening, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, escape of water from any apparatus, theft by violent or forcible means, subsidence, riot and civil commotion, malicious damage, impact by vehicles, aircraft or aerial devices, vermin damage, collapse or partial collapse of building. Loss or damage from any other cause is at the sole risk of the Customer whether or not arising from or contributed to by the negligence of Safestore or its agents or employees.
In respect of archive collection and retrieval, cover shall be extended to also include accidental damage caused by impact or overturning of the conveying vehicle. Cover shall also be provided following theft of or from the conveying vehicle by violent or forcible means.
4. Total Declared Value
As requested by you and shown in the Customer Declaration below. The total declared value can be increased on payment of an additional charge, subject to our prior agreement. Some property is subject to specific limitations, as outlined within the Excluded Property clause herein. The total sum insured cannot exceed £50,000 unless confirmed in writing by us.
5. Under Insurance (Stock or work in progress)
In respect of Business Customers’ stock and work-in-progress, if you fail to declare the full replacement value of your property being stored, in the event of a claim you shall only be entitled to recover in settlement the proportion of the loss as the value declared bears to the total replacement value of all stock and work-in-progress being stored.
6. Under Insurance (all other property)
In respect of all other property, if you fail to declare the new replacement value of your property being stored, in the event of a claim you shall only be entitled to recover in settlement the proportion of the loss as the value declared bears to the new replacement value of all property being stored.
7. Pairs & Sets
Where any items are part of a pair or of a set, our Insurers shall only pay for the actual items which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made for any items which are part of a pair or of a set and which are not lost or damaged.
8.Right to Cancel
Once the goods are moved into store, your right to cancel ceases and you will be charged for our insurance administration fee up until your next payment is due.
9. Basis Of Claims Settlement
In respect of Business Customers’ stock and work-in-progress, the basis of settlement of any claim shall be by replacement value, repair and/or compensation at our Insurers’ option. Our Insurer will take into consideration the age, quality, degree of use and consequent market value of your property when calculating the settlement. No claim will attach for depreciation consequent upon such repair.
In respect of all other property, in the event of total loss, destruction or damage beyond repair of any item, the settlement of any claim shall be by replacement, with items which are equivalent but no better than the original when new, or compensation at our Insurers’ option.
Our Insurer will pay for any loss or damage, up to the value declared by you, to the Insured, subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions detailed herein.
Basis of Settlement for Documents
The basis of claims settlement shall include the following:-
- The value of the materials as stationary;
- The costs necessarily and reasonably incurred for clerical labour expended in reproducing or writing up such documents; and
- The costs necessarily and reasonably incurred in connection with the reproduction of any information to be recorded.
Insurers will not reimburse you for the value of the information contained in any documentation lost or damaged.
10. Policy Excess
Insurers will not pay the first £50 of each claim, you will be responsible for this.
11.Payment of Insurance Administration Fees
Our insurers shall only be liable to settle a claim recoverable under this cover providing we have received all insurance administration fees due from you.
12. Time Limit For Claims Notification
All claims must be notified to us at the time of discovery of the loss/or damage to your property, or at the time of removal of your property from the unit, whichever is sooner.
13. Choice Of Law And Jurisdiction
The Policy shall be governed & construed in accordance with English law & shall be resolved within the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England & Wales.
If you or anyone acting on your behalf:
- makes any false or fraudulent claim;
- makes any exaggerated claim;
- supports a claim by false or fraudulent documents, devices or statements (whether or not the claim is itself genuine);
- makes a claim for loss or damage which the Insured or anyone acting on the Insured's behalf deliberately caused, our Insurer will:
15. Excluded Property
- refuse to pay the whole of the claim; and
- recover from the Insured any sums that it has already paid in respect of the claim.
Unless agreed otherwise in writing by Insurers, the following limitations apply:-
- Money, coins, bullion, deeds, bonds, securities and the like.
- Livestock, Plants or Perishable Goods of any kind.
- Explosives, firearms and flammables, such as highly flammable gasses, liquids, chemicals and the like.
- Loss of electronic data records other than the cost of blank data carrying materials.
- Jewellery, watches, precious stones, stamps of all kinds exceeding £500 any one Customer.
- Furs, fine arts, perfumery, tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, beers, wines, spirits and the like exceeding £10,000 any one Customer.
- Electronic Items (as defined below) and mobile phones exceeding £25,000 any one Customer.
Electronic Items means all items of consumer and commercial electrical appliances and instruments including but not limited to, televisions, computers, computer software, hard drives, chips, microchips, printed circuit boards and their components, modems, monitors, camera, hi fi equipment and the like. Heavy electrical items such as switchgear, turbines, generators and the like shall be deemed not to be Electronic Items.
Insurers will not provide indemnity for the following:-
17. Other Exclusions
- Loss or theft of items other than following violent and forcible entry to or exit from the storage premises.
- Accidental damage unless as a direct result of violent and forcible entry to or exit from the storage premises.
- Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, gradual deterioration inherent vice or latent defect
- Loss or damage caused by damp, mould, mildew, or rust unless caused by the negligence of the Operator.
- Climatic causes.
- Loss or damage caused by leakage of liquid from any receptacle or container within the Customer’s own unit(s).
- Indirect or consequential loss of any kind or description.
- Electrical, electronic or mechanical derangement to any electrical, electronic or mechanical items, unless external physical damage has occurred, or as a result of fire, derailment, collision or overturning of the conveying vessel, vehicle or aircraft. Any loss of or damage to electronic equipment resulting from configuration failure of the controlling software and/or microchip.
- Damage caused by pollution or contamination except (unless otherwise excluded) Damage to Customers’ Property caused by
- Pollution or contamination which itself results from any Insured Peril
- Any Insured Peril which itself results from pollution or contamination
- Damage caused by vermin if food or perishable goods are found to be in the Unit which are not securely packaged in rigid plastic or metal containers so they are protected from and do not attract vermin.
Loss or destruction of or damage to any property whatsoever or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting or arising therefrom or any consequential loss or any legal liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from
- ionising radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or other nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- any weapon or other device utilizing radioactive material and/or matter and/or ionising radiation and/or atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter.
Loss, destruction, damage, death, injury, disablement or liability or any consequential loss occasioned by war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power.
- in respect of England, Wales and Scotland but not the territorial seas adjacent thereto as defined in the Territorial Sea Act 1987:
loss or destruction or damage or consequential loss of whatsoever nature, directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or in connection with
- any Act of Terrorism, regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence to such Act of Terrorism
- any action taken in controlling, preventing or suppressing any Act of Terrorism, or in any other way related to such Act of Terrorism
In respect of a. above an Act or Terrorism (Terrorism) means:-
Acts of persons acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which carries out activities directed towards the overthrowing or influencing, by force or violence, of Her Majesty's government in the United Kingdom or any other government de jure or de facto
In respect of b. above an act of Terrorism (Terrorism) means:-
An act, including but not limited to the use of force or violence and/or the threat thereof, of any person or group(s) of persons whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation(s) or government(s), committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or put the public or any section of the public in fear
In any action suit or other proceedings where the Insurer alleges that by reason of this exclusion any loss or destruction or damage or any consequential loss is not covered the burden of proving to the contrary shall be upon the Insured.
In the event any part of this exclusion is found to be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder shall remain in full force and effect.
- loss or destruction of or damage to any Computer Equipment (as defined below) consisting of or caused directly or indirectly by:
- programming or operator error whether by the Insured or any other person
- Virus or Similar Mechanism (as defined below)
- Hacking (as defined below)
- malicious persons (but this shall not apply to the acts of thieves involving physical force or violence)
- failure of external networks
unless, in respect of i., ii. and iii. above, such loss or destruction or damage results from a concurrent or subsequent cause not excluded by this or any other policy exclusion
- any financial loss or expense of whatsoever nature, including but not limited to business interruption, resulting directly or indirectly from the type of loss or destruction or damage described in paragraph a. of this Exclusion unless, in respect of a. i., ii. or iii, above, the financial loss or expense results from a concurrent or subsequent cause not excluded by this or any other policy exclusion
- loss or destruction of or damage to any property other than Computer Equipment where it arises directly or indirectly out of loss or destruction of or damage to any Computer Equipment of the type described in paragraph a. of this Exclusion unless, in respect of loss or damage to other property arising from a. i., ii. or iii. above, resulting from a concurrent or subsequent cause not excluded by this or any other policy exclusion
- loss or destruction of or damage either to Computer Equipment or any other property where it consists of or arises directly or indirectly out of:
- the erasure, loss, distortion, corruption or unauthorised access to or modification of information on computer systems or other records, programs or software by rioters, strikers, locked-out workers, persons taking part in labour disturbances or civil commotions, or malicious persons
- the erasure, loss, distortion, corruption or unauthorised access to or modification of information on computer systems or other records, programs or software due to any cause not included in d.i. above
- any misinterpretation, use or misuse of information on computer systems or other records, programs or software unless, in respect of d.ii and iii. above, such loss, destruction or damage results from a concurrent or subsequent cause not excluded by this or any other policy exclusion
- any financial loss or expense of whatsoever nature, including but not limited to business interruption, where it arises directly or indirectly from the type of loss or destruction or damage described in paragraphs c. and d. of this Exclusion unless, in respect of c., d.ii. and iii. above, the financial loss or expense results from a concurrent or subsequent cause not excluded by this or any other policy exclusion.
For the purpose of this Exclusion:
means any computer equipment, component, system or item which processes, stores, transmits or retrieves data, or any part thereof, whether the property or the Insured or not, whether tangible or intangible and including without limitation any information, programs or software.
Virus or Similar Mechanism
means any program code, programming instruction or other set of instructions intentionally constructed with the ability to damage, interfere with or otherwise adversely affect computer programs, data files or operations (whether involving self replication or not), including but not limited to 'Trojan Horses', 'Worms' or 'Logic Bombs'.
means unauthorised access to any computer or computer equipment, component, system or item, whether the property of the Insured or not, which processes, stores, transmits or retrieves data.
18. Claims Procedure
If you wish to make a claim you must obtain a claim form from your Store Manager at the address shown on your Storage Licence.
You will be issued with a claim form to complete and return to Safestore, who will send it to their Insurers’ claims settling agents, RCS.
Where a claim is notified late, it may prejudice yours and/or Safestore’s Insurer’s position and affect how the claim is considered.
Your claim will be dealt with in accordance with this Insurance Cover Information Document. The excess stated herein will be deducted from any claim settlement.
Subject to payment of the actual value of a damaged item by Insurers, they may at their discretion take over ownership of the property. No property may be abandoned to Insurers.
19. Complaints Procedure
Both Insurers and their claims settling agents, RCS, make every effort to provide an excellent service to customers whom are entitled to claim from this cover. If on any occasion service falls below the standard you would expect, we would like the opportunity to offer additional support to put things right. In order for us to resolve your grievance promptly, we ask you follow the below procedure:
- If your claim has been submitted to Safestore and you have not heard from RCS within 5 working days, please contact your Store Manager.
- If you have received a response, please contact the person dealing with your claim at RCS outlining the nature of the problem.
- If you remain dissatisfied following response from the person dealing at RCS, write to the RCS Claims Manager who will give the matter their personal attention.
- Should the matter still not be resolved to your satisfaction RCS will provide you with details of the address and the person to contact at the Insurers offices.
Your rights as a customer to take legal action remain unaffected by the existence or use of any complaint procedures referred to above.
Safestore is registered with the Financial Ombudsman Service. If, after following the above procedure, your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may have the right to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service at: South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR.
I/We wish to insure my/our property whilst it is stored with you.
I/We understand that cover is accepted subject to payment of the Insurance Administration Fee quoted to me/us below.
I/We will notify you in writing if at any time during the period of storage the Declared Value is to be increased and that I/we will pay the appropriate additional Insurance Administration Fee.
I/We confirm that my/our property does not include any items prohibited for storage as detailed in the Licence Agreement or property excluded under the Insurance Cover Information Document detailed herein, unless specified by you and agreed in writing by us, with any appropriate special terms and conditions being agreed and additional Insurance Administration Fee being paid by me/us.
I/We understand that if at any time my/our Insurance Administration Fees fall into arrears the insurance cover will cease with effect from the date the payments become overdue.
I/We confirm that the Declared Value provided by me/us represents the full replacement value as new of all my property stored and that I/we will confirm if the value of goods being stored exceeds this amount before placing goods into store.
I/We have read and agree to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurance, particularly clauses 3. Insured Perils, 5. & 6. Under Insurance, 15. Excluded Property and 16. Exclusions, as detailed herein.
You should keep a record of all information you have given us.
Insurance Administration Fee including IPT*
Version: December 2017
*Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) at the going rate is included within the fee shown above.