Storage Unit Packing Tips
Packing a storage unit is not an overly difficult task but if you put some thought and planning into it you can make the most of the space that you have rented and potentially save money. Most people tend to think they need more space than they actually do. Hopefully these packing tips will help you pack your self storage unit efficiently.
How to pack a self storage unit
- Prior to putting your belongings into a self storage unit make a list or take photos of all of the items in the unlikely event that something happens to them whilst in storage and you need to make an insurance claim. The list will also be good for reference if you need to remember if you put something into the unit or not.
- Pack as much of your belongings in strong uniformed sized boxes as this will make stacking them easier allowing you to make the most of the vertical space. Boxes are available on our online storage box shop.
- Once you arrive at the storage facility unload your goods in the loading bay, and use the available trolleys to transport your goods to your unit. Be careful not to overload the trolley or stack them unsafely!
- Start by covering the ground space with a dust sheet to protect your goods.
- Identify your heaviest or fullest boxes, and put these with your bulky items in first. Set anything aside that you will need regular access to.
- Position any items that you will need regular access to at the front of the unit. If you’re going to need regular access to most of the items in the unit you may want to leave an aisle.
- Clearly identify fragile goods, and make sure the labels can be easily seen.
- Storing sofas and mattresses on end, and stacking chairs pad-to-pad, will help you to minimise the amount of space you need.
- Stack your boxes, maximising your space, from the back of the unit and fill your space methodically towards the front – don’t forget to use single items for filling gaps as you go.
- If possible raise boxes/items off the floor with wooden pallets.
- Make the most of hollow spaces. Don’t leave wardrobes, chest of drawers, laundry baskets or suitcases empty. Fill those spaces with things such as clothing, linen or pillows.
- Take care to safely pack sharp edges or garden tools to avoid accidents. Outside equipment should be cleaned before storage, and lawnmower blades or cutting tools should be lightly oiled.
- When all your items are in, cover with a dust sheet to keep them clean and protected.
- Secure your unit with a padlock.
If you have any questions please do pop into the store and ask our knowledgable staff as they will be more than happy to help and share their self storage packing tips.
Congratulations! You've just successfully packed your first self storage unit! Now what are you going to do with all that extra space you have now your items are in storage?