40+ Things to do when moving house
Moving house is a major upheaval and few people would say they actually enjoy it, but with preparation and advanced warning of possible obstacles you can keep your stress levels to a minimum.
There are loads of things to do when moving house, and the sheer amount you need to remember can be overwhelming. So we’ve put together some moving house tips to help things go smoothly, and you can download
our moving house checklist
uk for free to see at a glance who to notify and what needs to be done at different stages of your move.
Two months to go…
1) Provisionally book a removals company
2) If renting give notice to your landlord
3) Buy your boxes, packing and storage supplies
4) Start sorting out your belongings. Get rid/donate things you don’t need
5) Begin packing unessential items
6) If you have kids you'll need to confirm new school placements & inform existing school
7) Do you need kennels or a cattery for the move? Book it in advance
8) Think about putting items of excess furniture into storage until you’ve settled into your new home
One month to go…
9) If you’re moving a long way, get your car serviced and tyres checked
10) Register with local doctors/dentists if you're moving to a new area
11) Inform your local council of your change of address and cancel council tax payments
12) Inform your phone and internet providers of your change of address
13) Update the DVLA
14) Notify your bank of your change of address
15) Inform Inland Revenue
16) Update your insurance providers, ensure you have home insurance sorted for the day you move in
17) Confirm your moving arrangements with moving firms
18) Start putting items you don’t use every day into boxes and label them
19) Arrange for someone to look after the children and pets if possible
Two weeks to go…
20) Let people know about your change of address – friends, online shops, milk, newspapers and magazine subscriptions
21) Clean your house as you pack
22) Organise your mail to be re-directed for at least three months
One week to go…
23) Confirm with solicitor and estate agents that the move is going to plan
24) Notify TV Licensing of your new address
25) Make sure your packing is coming to a close – double-check the loft and garage
26) Ask your neighbours to make sure there is room outside your home for the removal van
27) Empty and defrost/dry out your fridge/freezer
28) Clear out your kitchen cupboards
29) Work out the moving route
30) Remind friends and family you’ll need a hand next week!
31) Pack valuables and important documents in a safe place to take in the car with you
The day before...
32) Charge your mobile
33) Put everything practical you’ll need to one side in a clearly marked box: tape measure, extension lead, step ladder etc.
34) Get a box of first night essentials together.
35) Collect your hire van, or confirm tomorrow’s schedule with your removal firm
36) Move all your packed boxes into a downstairs room if needed
37) Pack valuables and important documents in a safe place to take in the car with you
Things to do on moving day...
38) Record all utility meter readings for water, electricity and gas. Take a photo of the meters and let your providers know you are moving
39) Strip the beds and curtains and pack into clearly marked bags
40) Check the bathrooms for toiletries
Loading the van...
41) Instruct your movers on what is moving and what is not
42) Check everywhere and do a final house clean
43) Leave all the sets of keys as arranged for the new owners
If you need further help with your house move, you can download the following for use:
Additional Info & Moving House Checklist Download
House moving checklist - top tips including utility bills, removal companies and redirecting mail
First night essentials checklist - a list of what to have handy on moving day
‘We have moved’ cards - let family and friends know your new address when you’ve moved
Packing labels - get organised and use these to help label your boxes for the big move
Explore more personal services